Why You Should Start Journaling Right Now
From Instagram to TikTok, the new bullet journaling craze is everywhere. The popular trend promises to help you master all of your goals and keep you organized. Keeping a journal is a way for us to create a sense of order in our lives, especially on those days where it feels like you’re losing your grip of control of everything else going on in the world around you. Is this what this craze is all about? Why should you make it a habit to keep a journal?
1. To track all of your victories. You deserve to celebrate everything that you accomplish- big or small. Whether it’s winning the football game for your team, getting an A on that test you studied for, or just getting out of bed in the morning, you deserve to be validated for all you do each and every day. Tracking your victories can help you boost your self esteem and start future success cycles.
2. To record what you’re grateful for. Sure, there’s so many terrible things occuring in our world right now: a pandemic, natural disasters, world hunger, international wars, poverty, etc. At the same time, there are so many beautiful things around us everyday and a lot to be grateful for. Expressing gratitude in your journal can draw more positivity into your life and can help you relieve stress and anxiety to live your life to the fullest.
3. To help you make those tough decisions. We all have those days where it seems impossible to make a decision. Maybe it’s the outfit you want to wear to school. Maybe you have divorced parents and have to decide which house to go to for Thanksgiving. Maybe you can’t decide where to spend your next four years at college. Making a pros and cons list in a journal and writing out the possible outcomes can help you make those tough decisions when it seems impossible to choose only one answer.
4. To plan and strategize your future. Making routines, goals, and trying to strategize our future ambitions may seem daunting at first. Writing down all of your aspirations can help you create a successful action routine. When you visualize your goals and the rewards of meeting them by journaling, it can help you take control of your future and prepare you for further opportunities.
5. To increase self-connection and gain some clarity. Journaling can help you connect to your feelings, values, and goals. Journaling is a way for us to get a grasp on everything going on around us. Journaling can help you slow down, be present, and find your inner zen. The physical process of writing itself connects our mind and body and jotting down all of the thoughts inside your head will bring some clarity to that issue you’ve been foggy about lately.
6. To capture your brilliant thoughts. You have beautiful ideas that are valid and should be heard. Even if you may not always want to share them out loud to your friends or coworkers, I promise you that your journal will always be there and wants to hear them. Whenever an idea comes to you, grab your journal and write it down. Having your ideas down on paper will help you remember them and put your dreams or goals into action.
7. To unplug in the digital age. Sometimes it seems like our whole lives revolve around technology because it’s literally everywhere we turn. Whether it be unplugging from social media or taking a break from looking at your work emails, journaling can help you come back to the present moment and keep you in a state of gratefulness.
8. To express yourself creatively. Not only will keeping a journal make you feel productive and help you build success cycles, but it is also a great way to channel your creative energy. Especially with bullet journaling, drawing and having some fun with the artwork on the journal pages is a fun way to express yourself. Even if you aren’t the best artist, expressing yourself with the art of bullet journaling can help you stay connected and understand your world a little bit better.
The views, opinions, and stories expressed in Promly Garden articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official position or policy of Promlyapp.com. We aim to give Gen Z a voice and welcome articles and opinions from Gen Z contributors who want their voice to be heard. Please send any articles, poetry, or artwork you’d like to see published on the Promly Garden to email@example.com.
With immense gratitude, the Promly Team.